About a week ago I posted some of our family traditions, which include making gingerbread houses. Several of you requested that I post the finished products, and I am happy to comply.
- Frosted Mini Wheat cereal — makes a great thatched roof; or hay
- Tootsie Rolls – makes great logs stacked on the side of the house
- Green Gumdrops – makes perfect bushes to decorate with snow along the perimeter of the house
- Necco wafers — good for a roof
- Red Licorice bites – also good for a red tile roof effect – or a chimney
- M&Ms; — all around good decorating
- Jelly Belly (ice cream assortment) – these particular colors make great sidewalks or stone effects for the side of a house
- Stick Pretzels — make a great fence or just good all-around building material (I forgot to buy these this year and was made aware of my faux pas. It will not happen again)
- Nerds – or other small candies – make good Christmas Light decorations
Of course the sky is the limit with candy decorations – but these tend to be our favorites.