- add crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese for a savory muffin
- add grated carrot, orange zest and chopped pecans
- add grated zucchini, chopped walnuts and cinnamon
- add can of cranberry sauce (not jellied), chopped nuts, and orange juice (my favorite)
- add peanut butter chips and chocolate chips for a decadent dessert
Well, as you can tell, the possibilities are endless and only limited by your own imagination and ingredients on hand. I would love to hear what special variations you create!
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup butter
Directions for Quick Mix:
- Blend flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in the butter (any method you choose – either food processor, two knives, or pastry blender) until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Store tightly in refrigerator (up to 2 months) or freezer (up to 4 months)
Ingredients for Muffins:
- 1/2 cup milk (or other liquid ingredient, depending on muffin variation. OJ and eggnog work well)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Quick Mix
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup sugar (depending on your taste preference)
Directions for Muffins:
- In a large bowl, mix the milk and egg together
- Add the Quick Mix, Sugar, and any other spices or ingredients you choose.
- Stir until just moistened.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full
- Bake at 400 degrees approximately 10-12 minutes for mini muffins (slightly longer for regular ones)
Of course, for added decadence, you can top the muffins with a streusel mix before baking – or drizzle with a powder sugar glaze or melted chocolate chips while still warm from the oven.